Video marketing has boomed in popularity throughout recent years. Is TikTok the way to finally grow your Etsy business in this new “video medium” world?
Let’s get started and learn the how’s and why’s you should use TikTok to grow your Etsy shop. What even is TikTok anyway? Don’t worry; I’m going to shed some light on the matter, I promise! We will have you up and running on this powerful social media platform in no time.
We’ll start with the overview.
What Is TikTok and Why Should Etsy Sellers Use It?
TikTok is a constantly growing video-based short-form social media platform, allowing users to post videos of up to 3 minutes to delight their fans.
And yes, Etsy sellers like you and I should be using it. Why? Let’s see.
Marketing is crucial to your small business’s success. And since the short-form video age is upon us, it’s prime time to shift into TikTok, the platform that started it all to ensure you’re using the most effective marketing tool.
Currently, TikTok has around 689 million users just in the USA. Not to mention, it has the highest engagement of any other social media platform in the world. The question should really be, “why aren’t more Etsy sellers on TikTok already?”
Probably because it seems daunting. Well, not anymore. Consider this the ultimate guide to TikTok for Etsy Sellers.
The Essentials: Setting Up Your Account, Linking Your Shop, and Creating Your First TikTok Post
First thing first, you’ll need to set up your TikTok account. I recommend doing this ASAP to ensure nobody steals your username.
How to Set Up Your TikTok Account
Setting up your account is the first step on your TikTok journey — and arguably, the most important! Take some time out to consider your other socials to ensure your brand identity remains consistent.
|Top Tip: Don’t bother with a personal TikTok account. Opt for the business one right away (it’s free). Otherwise, you won’t be able to link straight to your Etsy shop!
You’ll need to think about:
- Username — Ideally, your TikTok username should be the same as all your other socials, including your shop itself. Consistency is the key to unlocking seamless brand awareness, no matter which platform consumers use.
- Profile Picture — You have three options here:
- Your face
- Your logo
- One of your products
- Bio — You need to ensure people understand who you are and what you do in a few words.
- Links — Add a direct link to your Etsy shop and an email address made for business inquiries. You might want to link to your other social media platforms too.
How to Create Your First Post
After you’ve made your account, you’ll probably want to start posting straight away! But first, consider:
- Lighting — Since TikTok is a video platform, you need to ensure the best quality content possible. Good lighting is essential. If you take your own Etsy product photos, you likely already have an effective light source.
- Audio — Either record a voice-over, talk in the video, or use a currently trending sound.
- Engaging Idea — Don’t worry if you’re coming up blank. We’re going to talk about some terrific TikTok video ideas later. We have scouted out the best Etsy Seller TikTok creators to get you the best content ideas on the planet!
For now, let’s look at how you go about filming and posting content:
- Log into your TikTok.
- Hit the + at the bottom of your screen.
- Choose whether to upload content from your photo library or utilize TikTok’s camera.
- When using the TikTok camera, add effects, filters, sounds, and other fun extras while making your video.
- Press Record when you’re ready.
- Shoot your video.
- Hit the checkmark.
- Make any last-minute edits or adjustments.
Pro Tip! LEARN AN EDITING SOFTWARE
TikTok gives you all the tools you need to record and edit your video right within the TikTok platform itself. However, you may want to consider learning an editing software to give your TikTok videos a more polished and professional look and feel. There are some great paid and free options available to bring out your creative juices when it comes to video editing software.
The Tips and Tricks for Growth: Effective Principles, Video Ideas, and Hashtags
You’ve got the basics. Now let’s look at some insider tips and tricks!
Top 5 Effective TikTok Principles to Grow Your Etsy Shop
- Be Vulnerable — Letting your personality shine through makes all the difference on TikTok. Nowadays, consumers want to look beyond the corporate cloak and see something real.
- Follow Trends — TikTok trends change each day. But paying close attention to them will benefit you no end as you could end up going viral!
- Use All Your Socials — Share your videos on other social media platforms too. That way, you can increase engagement across the board.
- Be Authentic — While you should follow trends, you should also try to put your spin on things and never do something that makes you feel uncomfortable.
- Be Consistent — Ideally, you need to post between one and three times a day on TikTok to grow. The more you post quality content, the more your channel will grow.
TikTok Video Ideas to Combat Creative Block
As the saying goes, “there is nothing worse than a blank sheet of paper”; the same applies to your first (and following) TikTok videos. You either have boatloads of ideas or none. Whichever category you fall into, try not to overthink it! Everything flows better when you’re having fun.
So, why not try some of these video ideas?
#1 Your Etsy Creative Process
TikTok users adore the process. In Etsy they viewers just see the final product. TikTok viewers want to see how YOU THE MAKER make your items, what you use, and the care you put into each product.
Trust me; they’ll eat your “watch me make *insert product name here*” content right up.
#2 Small Business Tips
The platform is rife with small businesses. If you have any tips and tricks to help others run their business, why not share them? There will undoubtedly be someone out there who wants/needs to hear what you have to say.
Off the top of my head, some small business tips you could share are as follows:
- Keep focused — In other words, don’t spread yourself too thin. Optimize your products toward your niche and remain committed.
- Prioritize customer support — A reasonable “bedside manner” is essential to build strong bonds with your customers.
- Welcome feedback — Not everyone will like you, and that’s okay. Always tolerate constructive criticism; never abuse.
You may also want to share tips on more specific parts of your business, such as your making process. If your medium is tough to work with, others might be struggling. Providing valuable information is the way to keep people engaged.
#3 Packing Orders
There is something oh-so-satisfying about watching small business owners package their products. Everything is done with such care, patience, and outright love for what they do — and people love to see it.
|Top Tip: Make this type of TikTok once you’ve gained some traction. It’s wise to build a fanbase by showing your process and products first, so they understand what you’re all about.
I recommend using only eco-friendly packaging, especially when you’re going to show it off on TikTok. With environmentally-friendly resources at the forefront of many consumers’ minds, you don’t want to lose your hard-earned following over plastic!
#4 New Product Previews
New things? Yes, please! People love getting a sneak peek of your latest makes. If you’re about to list your item, show it off beforehand and provide a link to the product page when it goes live.
Look at other small businesses on TikTok to see how they’re filming their new products to show the world — and how much traction you get. You may well be surprised by the level of attention.
|Top Tip: Leave them wanting more. Try showing off a select few sections of your new product. That way, the final reveal will be all the more enticing.
#5 Day in The Life
Let’s face it. Everybody is nosey. No matter who you are or what you do, people will be interested in knowing about your day.
TikTok is the perfect place to show them without having to spend most of your day holding a camera up.
Thanks to the short-form (max. 180 seconds) content, you can show snippets of all significant parts of your day in one video: minimum effort, maximum reward. You don’t even need to speak if you don’t feel like it!
#6 Address Misconceptions
Have you encountered any misconceptions about owning a small business? Or have you been exposed to misconceptions about your art form? If so, you could be the one to squash them!
People love to be proven right. But they also love to watch others be proven wrong — even indirectly.
Whether you speak or use captions, TikTok users seem to adore these video types from small businesses.
|Top Tip: Much like my third video order (packing orders), I’d save the misconception squashing until you have a loyal fanbase.
#7 Respond to Comments
As you grow, people are bound to ask you questions in the comments. While you can reply directly, I recommend using this chance to create another post.
By grabbing the comment and superimposing it onto your video, you can answer the query and ensure more people see your response. Of course, this is especially beneficial when answering a frequently asked question, but don’t hold back. Reply to as many interesting comments via video as you want. You’ll certainly find it tricky to run out of posts.
Here’s How to Reply to a Comment via Video on TikTok:
- Tap on the comment you wish to reply to.
- Click the video camera option on the lefthand side of the field.
- Tap the video camera.
- Record your video as you normally would.
- Drag the automatic comment screengrab around until you like how it looks on your video.
- Post the video.
- That’s it! Your viewers can access your video in the comments section and on your page.
Everything You Need to Know About TikTok Hashtags
Hashtags seem to be all over the social side of the Internet — and for good reason! They help users find and share the content they love.
But you need to know how to utilize them properly to pull in the traffic you want (and deserve).
Thankfully, using the right hashtags on TikTok can get you much further than it will on long-established platforms like Instagram and Twitter.
The key is to research both your niche and “small business” in general before you post. Hashtags, like trends, are constantly changing, so it’s crucial to do this regularly.
To search hashtags on TikTok, head to the Discover page. Here, you’ll find videos posted with trending hashtags. You can begin your research here before typing in your content’s primary keyword in the search bar.
If you’d like a helping hand, use TikTok Hashtags to find the best keywords for Etsy sellers and small businesses like yours. First, search for the hashtag and then copy and paste the results into your video description. It’s that easy!
The Bottom Line
Phew, I know I’ve thrown a lot of information at you. But following everything we’ve discussed one-by-one will ensure you bring your Etsy shop to TikTok in the best way possible!